– A gin/tonic… no straw, please!
No more compromises because reusable eco-friendly straws have come to rescue and are gaining popularity over single-use plastic straws around the globe.
We all are aware of the devastating impact that plastic straws have on the environment. It comes as no surprise that plastic straws are in the top 10 most commonly found pieces of trash during beach cleanups. And yes, we can all do our part to reduce their negative impact on the environment.
What is the solution?
Leaving plastic straws behind is the only solution left for a sustainable future. Switch to eco-friendly straws.
Honestly, I feel really guilty when I forget the last portion of my order. Because, if I don’t ask… There will be a plastic straw in my drink. It has become a habit to put a straw in every glass… Even sometimes in a glass of water! Ouch! Is it really necessary?
Fortunately, we are more and more aware that plastic straws are a real curse. In fact, more than one billion straws are thrown away worldwide every year. The problem is: they are made to last… Plastic takes over 500 years to disintegrate! But straws are single-use items.
What is the best alternative to plastic straws?
Eco-friendly straws or Bamboo straws!!! Yes, bamboo is the best sustainable material available. It grows naturally at a rate of up to 4 feet per day, without the addition of any chemical substances. It is even stronger than steel in regards to tensile strength and also possess antimicrobial properties and that’s why it is considered as the best material for eco products.
What to do:
- Refuse plastic straws in bars and restaurants
- Opt for the cardboard version when it’s offered
- Choose reusable eco-friendly straws instead, like OLA Bamboo straws, that you can always have with you.
What are the benefits of reusable straws?
- Safe to use: Plastic is harmful as it releases toxic chemicals when it comes in contact with extremely hot liquids.
- Easy to clean: Clean with the cleaning brush using water and mild soap.
- Lightweight: You can keep them in your purse or in the car easily as they are light in weight.
- Eco-friendly: Decompose naturally in 4-5 months.
- Long life: Can be used for years when properly cared for.
- Pocket friendly: Bamboo straws are quite affordable considering their long usage.
Bamboo vs Metal Straws?
No doubt, metal straws are also durable, long-lasting and robust like Bamboo straws but they are not ideal for hot drinks. On the contrary, bamboo straws are ideal for both hot and cold beverages. Extra-wide straws for your thick shakes and smoothies are also available.
If you are planning to throw a party and worried about washing the utensils, then we have an option of using the disposable wooden utensils that can be thrown in the compost bin at the same time as any leftover food. They’re perfect for picnics and celebrations, but also great for lunch boxes and diners on the go.
Eliminating disposable plastic straws will not solve all the pollution problems… But it’s a step in the right direction. And it’s how we’ll end up having a significant impact on our beautiful planet!